Northwestern defensive tower
of the castle Herman - restaurant "Castell"
Hermann fortress, the oldest remaining parts from the XIII and XIV century.
Documents from 1329, Narva has been marked as "castrum et civitas" which confirms the existence of both in urban as well as security.
Initially, only took up a hill fortress. In 1341-42, after another attack and the destruction of the city, was built towards the western courtyard. In 1345 Narva awarded the status of the city, as is mentioned that the residents can live and build houses in front of the castle. In 1370 construction began on the western limestone walls, around the entire western part of the city. The townspeople built a wall with the support of the Order and the city of Tallinn, the construction was completed around 1385-1390.In the period from 1520 to 1530 courtyard was expanded in a westerly direction, built defensive towers in the north-western and south-western parts, just built the central part of the wall and gates. Restaurant "Castell" is located in the north-western defensive tower.
In the XV century because of the modernization of firearms, there is a correction of some towers of the medieval walls, including the north-west tower. (Photo 1)
рис1 рис2 рис3 рис4
In the period 1683 - 1704 based on the draft Eric Dahlberg has built a new system of protection of bastions and ramparts of the old band lost its meaning. Northwestern defensive tower remained in the shadow of a new defense system as a bastion of Fortune and Triumph.(Photo 2)
For a long time the tower was used as a warehouse and ancillary facilities. There had been a number of reconstruction, added holes for windows.
Castle Herman remains intact until the Second World War, during which the castle was badly damaged and was in ruins (Photo 3)
In 1979 he was drafted for the reconstruction of the north-west tower. Construct a new roof construction. Planned cafe on four floors (three floors + fireplace room in the basement). (Photo 4)
Cafe got a new face and a house in the summer of 2009.
In the basement is a pub, he is a beer hall, for fun and companionship. Room bears the name of weapons-grade hall, on the basis of posted on the walls of military weapons and uniforms of the time. Here soldiers are going to drink and play dice.
In the hall of 24 seats and 10 seats near the bar. And all this magic around the fireplace, which will turn the evening into an unforgettable tale.
On the first floor there is a cloakroom and toilets. From the entrance hall stairs lead to the pub and on the second floor.
On the second floor there is a room that transmits the atmosphere of a medieval restaurant.
In the hall 4 tables and 24 seats at the bar are 3 tables and 6 seats. Entrance is illuminated by lamp from leather of giraffe, in the center of the room, proudly standing canopy which is illuminated by the candles hanging on silver mirrors.
Knights' Hall, the most festive hall throughout the building, located on the 3 floor. In the decoration of the premises play an important role and value of ancient objects. In the niche peacely protect visitors sculpture of knight. In the niche of former window openings installed cabinets 200 years old and wine racks from India and Morocco. Indoors 6 different types and design of tables, 38 seats. As the tables used old door panels and a wheel gun carriages. There is no object, whose age would be less than 100 years.
Open-air cafe is located on the protective wall, which can be reached through a door between the second and third floors. Wonderful views of the castle Herman and Ivangorod fortress you can see.